Pages

November 4, 2009

Eye on LA: Scott O'Brien

Please welcome Scott O'Brien, owner of the hip and eco-friendly store The Green Life in Santa Monica!

You can check out his store's Monkey feature here.

Stage Name: I don’t really have a stage name, but my wife calls me “monkey”. I’m not sure if that is a reflection of how I behave or not. You have to ask her.

Neighborhood: West LA, a very eclectic neighborhood, which keeps things interesting.

Day Job: Owner of The Green Life, an eco-friendly lifestyle store on Main St in Santa Monica. Previously featured on Monkey in LA!

Moonlight as: Amateur pancake chef, guitarist, and painter.

Los Angeles is: a great city with a lot to offer. There are infinite outdoor activities, a ton of great restaurants and plenty of culture.

One day in LA. Go: hiking in Griffith Park. The views are amazing and it is a great escape from the urban sprawl. On the way home, browse the vinyl stacks at Amoeba Music.

Food/drink that is LA: I like raw food from Euphoria. My favorites are the cheese stuffed jalapenos and the goji chocolate balls.

Recipe please?: This is what I bring for lunch most days when I am in my store.

Scott’s Awesome Grilled Veggie Sandwich

1 Medium sized eggplant, 1 cucumber, 1 white onion, 1 green bell pepper, 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 6-8 Italian sub rolls, 6-8 cloves of garlic, 2 cups Veganaise, 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, ½ lemon

Veggies:

Slice all vegetables into medium size strips

Toss vegetables in a bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and one diced clove of garlic

Lightly coat a skillet with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry vegetables until they are charred and cooked through

Sandwich Spread:

Grill 4-6 cloves of garlic and then dice

Mix grilled garlic with, 2 cups of Veganaise, and juice from ½ lemon

Grill Italian sub rolls face down and lightly spread sandwich spread on inside of bun.

Fill subs with grilled veggies and enjoy!

Getaway from LA: Encinitas to my in-laws house to relax by the pool, go to the beach, or go for a hike.

Cheap Eats LA: I’m not sure if there is such a thing in LA. It seems like you get what you pay for!

Hideout in LA: An awesome Italian restaurant within walking distance from my house on Robertson called “CafĂ© Bella Roma”. It is the best Italian food I have had since I moved to LA. Totally hidden from the street, super small and intimate - you feel like you aren’t even in LA anymore.

Clothing that is LA: Board shorts. They work for everything from swimming to exercising to working around the house.

Scariest place LA: The parking garage at the Getty Center. I’m just waiting for the day I am 7 floors down and the big one hits.

Officially from LA when: you donate all of your winter coats. I grew up in Cleveland and have no warm clothes anymore for when I go back to visit.

Green LA: My store, The Green Life! Just kidding. Go check out Green Drinks, it is a weekly green mixer that is a lot of fun. Green Drinks.

K-Town or Thai Town? N/A

Beachside or Poolside? Definitely beachside because I like to swim in the ocean. Though with how much I work, I’d gladly deal with either.

Happy Hour or After Hour? I’m not much of a club person so I will have to say happy hour. It’s usually a good time to catch a Cavs game.

Hancock Park or Hollywood Hills? I don’t really spend much time in either, but the views are nicer from the hills so I will go with the Hollywood Hills.

Speakeasy or Shake Your Sh**? Speakeasy. See Happy Hour or After Hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment